What's new
Welcome

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

• If you're a Streamer , you can join our Streamer group and share your stream in our Stream Box. Click here to more information.

Increase Your FPS

NobraN

Tayfun MUTLU
Staff member
Administrator
SCUM Player
Website
www.tayfunmutlu.com.tr

This guide will show you how to gain more FPS and overwall a better performance in the game.

Set launch options (MOST IMPORTANT)

Open Steam Library and right click on SCUM. Then go to “Properties” and click on “Set Launch Options”. There type (copy paste) the following commands:
-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4

Image 1: Set launch options - How to

Commands explained:
-sm4
This will change shading from DirectX 11 to DirectX 10. It won’t look as stunning (it will look a little bit more darker - see down bellow picture 'before and after') but it will run more smoothly hence your FPS will increase. This is one of the most important fps command for UnrealEngine. (IT GAVE ME A BOOST OF FPS FROM 72 TO 120 ON SINGLE PLAYER AND FROM 67 TO 92 ON MULTIPLAYER FULL SERVER)

Image 2: Before and After "-sm4" command

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES
This will ensure that all of your CPU cores are being used while running the game.
(5 fps increase)

PS (READ!):
1.Basically "-sm4" forces your PostProcessQuality from 2 to 0. With the last update of Scum, in order to work at it's full potential (because ingame it will still be set on 2 since the lowest option is MEDIUM for PostProcessingQuality, you must also open your "GameUserSettings.ini" from C:\Users\ComputerName\AppData\Local\SCUM\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor and manually change PostProcessQuality= from 2 to 0 (for both of them).
2. besides the FPS that "-sm4" gives you, it will also make your game not be as bright so try and set your shadow precision (in game video setting) to the lowest. It will make it a little bit more brighter.

Image 3: Shadow precision ingame video option - set to lowest

Another way to increase the brightness even more is to manually change it in your Nvidia Control Pannel or Radeon Settings (depending on your GPU).
3. if you still do not like the low brightness the "-sm4" command gives you, just remove it from your set launch options and if that doesn't do it, then just delete your GameUserSettings.ini from your C:\Users\ComputerName\AppData\Local\SCUM\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor.
I recommend making a backup of that file before you apply the guide, just in case to save your already made video settings. Even if you do not make a backup of that file, and you deleted it, the game will still run without any problems (a new file will be created by itself once u run the game) but you will have to change your ingame video settings to whatever you like because it will start as default video settings.

Disabling Depth of Field Blur (DFB) & AntiAliasing (AA)

1. Go to C:\Users\ComputerName\AppData\Local\SCUM\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
2. Double click to open "GameUserSettings.ini" (if it asks a software to open the file with, just choose notepad)
3. Search for "r.DepthOfFieldQuality" and change its value to 0 !
4. Search for "sg.AntiAliasingQuality=" and change its value to 2 ! If set you set it on 0 it will make your game more sharp, but for low end pc's it's a huge improvement. If u want it in between (not to sharp and not to blurry, just change it to 1. I personally have it on 2.

PS: In order to see AppData folder you must have "Show hidden files, folders and drivers" enabled from your windows folder option settings!
FPS Increase (for me) arround 30+ more

More FPS settings for LOW END PC's

Full edit of "GameUserSettings.ini" for low-end PC's: set everything to 0 and ResolutionQuality to 80 just like in the image.

PS:
a. PostProcessQuality=0 means '-sm4'. If you don't like how dark it is with the new graphics,
just leave it to 2.
b. AntiAliasingQuality=0 it will make your texture edges sharp, if you don't like it, just change
it to 2.

Want more FPS but don't like '-sm4' ?

In case you do not like the darker graphics with '-sm4' and you still want to get the max fps possible out of this game (depending on your rig), I would recommend you to use the following settings (the same I use):

Enjoy.